Monday, September 27, 2010

The Post Exam Post

Well, it's done.

I feel pretty confident that I passed, but I guess I'm not going to find out for a couple weeks.  They could surprise us and publish the results quickly, but don't count on it.

As I suspected, a great deal of the test was based on 8 principals diagnosis, where I am perhaps the weakest.  So, I had spent most of my time studying that, and it paid off.  I was able to actually have a clue on those questions!

Also, my memorization chart was very helpful, and it confirmed the correct answer for at least 50 questions out of 155.

The worst case scenario here is that I fail, and I have to do a rewrite.  The good news out of that is that I know exactly where I need to focus my review, and that will be case studies.  Case study, diagnosis, select 5 points for treatment.

I don't regret any of this whole process, I have relearned many concepts that I should be able to apply here in clinic, and my patients will (hopefully) respond better as a result.  While I already achieve excellent results, I do NOT have a 100% cure rate!  There is always room for improvement there.

I think that I will spend some time to redesign my intake form so that it has a stronger focus on the TCM diagnosis, including simple things that Western medicine overlooks, like feelings of heat in the afternoon, thirst/appetite and food cravings.  If I organize it correctly, I'll have an excellent snapshot of the overall yin yang, hot/cold, interior/exterior, acute/chronic picture, and be able more clearly define which organ systems are out of balance, even in my simple pain relief patients.

If anyone has a good example of a TCM intake form in ENGLISH, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment