Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The "Do Not Disturb" Sticky

I couldn't leave today without posting something about one of my patients today. 

Among other things, this particular patient reported...  uhh...  how do I say this? 

She reported a tight...  uhh...  Well, you get the picture.  Too tight.

So she asked if there were any acupuncture points for this!  Believe it or not, there actually is a point for this!  Rest assured, I will never, ever EVER needle this point on anyone.  In fact, my master had a funny story about this point when we learned about it.

Here's his story:  My master used to teach at McMaster University Hospital in Hamilton, and once in a while, Chinese trained acupuncturists would come to him for "validation" because Canada doesn't accept foreign trained anyone.  So, this one time, an older Chinese lady came to my master and said:  (Add your own Chinese accent here):  "Ah, master, this patient has prolapse of the uterus.  I know what needles to use, so I start now".  So, imagine the patient, young 18 year old girl up in the stirrups (she'd just had an internal exam) and this lady is busy placing needles in the legs and arms, and then... 

From across the room, my master sees her about to needle Ren 1!  It's one of those, slow motion moments!  "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" as he races across the room to catch her arm before it's too late!

Here's a link to Ren 1, in case you are brave enough... Ren 1, only for the brave! 

At my office, I have several large posters of acupuncture points, and on this particular diagram, I have a yellow post-it note labeled: "Do Not Disturb!".

Now you know why!

So anyway, I told the patient that while there is a good point for this, I'll never use it, so it's up to her to self-stimulate.  So I taught her how to do it and instructed her to do it first thing in the morning and last thing before bed. 

My training says that it will work.  It will be interested to hear if it actually does work!

No comments:

Post a Comment